Saturday, November 17, 2007

Reference Material for Illustrators

At the talk I gave on Thursday I was asked about good reference books for contracts and copyright relating to illustration and children's books. These are the books that were recommended to me:

• Graphic Artists Handbook: Pricing and Ethical Guidelines by Kathie Abrams, ed. North Light Press.

• Children’s Book Writer and Illustrator’s Market (an annual catalogue of children’s book publishers, plus useful business chapters)

• Business and Legal Forms for Illustrators by Tad Crawford. Allworth Press.

The following websites were also recommended:
• http://www.underdown.org
• http://www.scbwi.org

SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) publishes a useful monthly newsletter with tips for writers and illustrators. They also sponsor critique groups, conferences, and portfolio reviews around North America. If you become a member, they have a bunch of useful pdf business handouts that you can download from their website.

2 comments:

kathabrams said...

I am very happy that Jacqueline recommended the Graphic Artists Guild's Pricing and Ethical Guidelines to other illustrators, but I have to point out that each edition of the PEGS is edited by a different, fantastic, dedicated committee. I am proud to have been an editor of the edition Jacqueline has, but when you search for the book, my name won't help. Just use the title -- you'll get it and be glad. Happy referencing!

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

Thanks for letting me know that, Katherine.