Wednesday, November 11, 2009

gdansk, poland

highlights of the trip:

• walking through the beautiful, colorful, historic old town
• dragon head water spouts
• tons of red brick
• stopping at a cute cafe to warm up with mulled wine
• eating at a Polish milk bar. Amazing.
• Malbork Castle
• learning about Polish culture and history from our wonderful hosts
• Polish sausage
• Polish bread
• seeing an actual bomb shelter
• browsing Polish children's books and eventually purchasing one with funky ink illustrations
• finally getting a matryoshka doll after wanting one since I was a little girl
• learning how to make zurek (Polish soup) and then enjoying it.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket


Malbork Castle - the largest red brick castle in the world:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


monument to the striking ship yard workers - I love how the hands come down the side:
Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


this church is 1000 years old - check out how crooked the walls are in the next photo:
Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

wronghand said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wronghand said...

Lovely! You forgot Piwo!

I liked the milk bars because they often had napkins that were like mini tracing paper.

I'll have to get some travel advice when I finally get myself up to Gdansk, embarrassed to say I haven't went there yet. Malbork castle has always seemed very interesting to me.

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

Oh, don't worry, there was plenty of piwo :)

I didn't see any of these tracing paper napkins that you speak of though. I guess I'll just have to go back.

Malbork was really cool, partially because it was the first castle I've ever been in. I've seen a lot of castles in Scotland, but haven't been inside of any yet. Although it's probably a zoo in the summer, I think they have a lot more areas open. We were only allowed to explore the bottom 2 floors - but even that took 2 hours.